Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Joyful Journey

As I spent time thinking about what to name this blog, one title kept coming to mind...

I kept thinking, "what a dumb name." But the thought persisted as I reflected about my current mortal journey. The more I thought about life, the more I realized that my current state was anything but "joyful." I have been suffering from depression for several years now, but lately, it has been dreadful.

At first, I didn't want to admit that I had a problem. I thought that maybe I was going crazy, that being depressed made me not normal; however, as the depression got deeper and deeper, I realized that I was in trouble... you know, when you seriously start to consider that everyone you love might be better off without you.

SO... I confided in my hubby, who was a little shocked at first, that I would consider suicide. He got pretty scared and made sure I had an appointment scheduled with our family doctor ASAP. He even went with me to make sure I got there and was honest with the doctor about the severity of the problem. That's when it really hit me that I should keep a public blog to help myself and others with depression overcome it. That's why I named it, "A Joyful Journey."

To all of you who suffer as I do, I wish you joy, even if for the moment. I hope we can begin to recognize the small joyful moments again, and that through their acknowledgment we can begin to discover the delightfulness of living again.

-KH

No comments:

Post a Comment